I make this bread once to twice a week… its a great basic almost no fail bread! I’ve been making this since early 2011… its a very rare thing for me to buy a loaf from the store (unless I’m sick) I know people think making your own bread takes too much time… but they are wrong… you put about 10 mins in at the beginning and then its five mins here five mins there… its really just a lot of rising and baking time.
Try out this pretty simple recipe… only 6 basic ingredients!
- 2 Cups warm water about 110-120 degrees
- ⅔ Cups white sugar
- 1½ Tablespoons yeast
- 1½ Teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups flour
- Place sugar and water in bowl
- Sprinkle with yeast and let dissolve 5-15 minutes
- Add salt, oil and half the flour mix together.
- Add remaining flour. Change to dough hook and mix till its pulling away from the sides.
- Pull out onto lightly floured surface and knead shortly
- Place in greased bowl flipping to cover both sides.
- Top with saran wrap or damp warm towel
- Set aside in draft free area and let rise till doubles in size. About 1 hour
- Remove cover and punch down.
- Lay out on lightly floured surface and cut in half.
- Flaten out into rectangle and "jelly" roll into a loaf.
- Pinch ends together and place in greased 9x5 bread pans.
- Repeat with other half.
- Cover and let rise till double in size about 30-50 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once double in size bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Pull out and brush top with butter.
- Let rest 10 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
- *Bakers notes: I've decreased the sugar down to ¼ cup or ⅓ cup instead of using full amount.
- I've also cut the oil down to 2 Tablespoons and substituted the oil for butter.
For step by step tutorial follow photos.
(Note I forgot pictures of the first few steps… here’s the details)
Put sugar in bowl and add water give it a lil stir to dissolve and sprinkle yeast over the top… let it set till it gets foamy 5-15 mins then add the salt, oil & 3 cups flour and mix. If your using a mixer change it out to your dough hook and add the remaining 3 cups flour, mix till its formed a ball and pull it out… knead it a little more to form a soft round ball, place it into a greased bowl and flip it so its grease on both sides… top it with saran wrap or warm damp cloth let rise and follow the remaining directions on the other pictures!
Now you know why I make this weekly… I just can’t bring myself to buying bread from the store anymore!
These are my new favorite bread pans… I bought 4 of them!
Try some of these quick recipes for a last minute dinner add on …
Recipe found on Allrecipes