This bread is tender and soft… It’s not too sweet at all… just a touch of honey!
It is simple to make whether you are using a mixer or doing it by hand… 6 simple ingredients you probably already have around and a couple hours later you have yourself some homemade bread! Keep in mind a lot of the time is rising time… I love starting this bread in the morning as I’m getting the kids off to school… 15 minutes putting it together… let it rise… do some laundry… clean up the dishes… come back to the bread put it in its pan… vacuum… toss the bread in the oven… put the laundry away… Bam before lunch I have 2 loaves of bread & I find myself eating a PB&J on warm homemade bread… That I made myself I might add… I doesn’t get much more rewarding than that!
I hope you enjoy as much as we do!
- 3 cups warm water 110-120 degrees
- 1½ tablespoons yeast
- ¼ cup shortening or softened butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
- may need an extra ¼-1/2 cup flour
- Add water to your bowl and sprinkle with yeast.
- Let set 5-10 mins or until foamy.
- Add shortening, honey and salt.
- Add 3 cups flour and mix with whisk.
- Add remaining 3 cups and switch out to dough hook (or wooden spoon if your doing this by hand) and mix.
- You want it to swipe the sides clean... If its still too sticky add more flour ¼ cup at a time no more than ½ cup.
- Plop onto counter and knead for a minute or two.
- Place into greases bowl flipping to cover both side.
- Cover with saran wrap and let rise 1 hour or until double in size.
- Punch the dough down.
- Plop onto surface and cut in half.
- Flatten out to shape of a rectangle and "jelly" roll it up pinching the seams together.
- Place in greased 9x5 bread pan.
- Repeat with other half.
- Cover with same saran wrap and let rise till double in size.
- Preheat your oven to 350 while its rising.
- Once doubled in size place in oven and bake for 30 mins.
- Remove and brush tops with butter let cool 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.
For a full step by step tutorial please see the following photos…
I forgot the picture to the next step… So once double in size carefully pull the saran wrap back and place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.